You don’t need to worry about calling an expert to restart a furnace. This is an easy home maintenance task that you can handle yourself in a breeze. Here are five steps to fix the problem:
- Try flipping the power switch off and on
- Check the oil tank and refill if needed
- Press the reset button on the furnace
- Use the power switch one more time
- Bleed any excess air from the furnace’s lines
Start with the first step and continue on towards the last. Usually, steps 1-3 will solve your problem. If you need to get rid of excess air from the furnace, there’s an easy-to-use bleed screw that makes this task easy. Once air stops sputtering, tighten the screw again.
Why Is It Necessary To Restart a Furnace?
Your furnace’s flame may go out if it runs out of oil. Changing the air filter can also make a reset necessary. These are normal conditions, so you have nothing to worry about.